Skip to content

Signs you’re getting too much vitamin A

When to get off the A train

Q: Is too much vitamin A dangerous?

Dr. Wright: Vitamin A is an essential nutrient that humans need in order to survive. I generally recommend 25,000 IU of vitamin A per day. Despite some of the things you’ve heard, it’s relatively difficult for an adult to overdose on this vitamin, particularly at this dose.

Still, it’s a good idea to know what the symptoms of vitamin A overdose are, just in case. They include headache, progressively drier skin, loss of hair (especially eyebrows), cracked lips, and pain in “long bones” (upper arms, upper legs).

The good news is any possible overdose is easily reversible if the vitamin A is promptly stopped.